LYNDA SUZANNE SHANKS, MA
Digital Learning Specialist, International Educator
Suzanne Shanks has 23 years of experience and a Masters in K-8 education, Ed Tech Integration, and Content-Area teaching. She is Highly Qualified in Colorado, USA, in Technology Education, English as a First Language, Social Studies, and English as a Foreign Language. She has been a trainer for various organizations, including the Oracle Education Foundation, iTunes University, and ESOL Schools. This is her 5th year in international education.
CERTIFICATIONS AND TRAINING AT A GLANCE
- Master of Arts in Teaching*
- Bachelor of Arts in Communications**
- Digital Learning Specialization K-Adult
- Flipped Learning Certification
- Environments: BYOD, 1:1 Computing, Web, Windows, Apple, Teaching with Mobile Devices and iPads
- Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Education (TEFL) Endorsement
- International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program
- Social Studies and Language Arts K-8
- Elementary Instruction K-5, All Subjects
- Small Business Owner & Legal Assistant
- FOR SAMPLES OF WORK, PLEASE SEE BELOW and OTHER SITE PAGES.
TECHNOLOGY, INTERNATIONAL, AND CLASSROOM EXPERIENCE (SUMMARIZED)
American School Foundation of Monterrey (2016 – Present) Mexico
- Grade 7 and 8 English, Grade 7 Social Studies, 1:1 Laptops
- Continue to facilitate, Mentor and Teach during multiple cycles of technology and educational best practice research.
- Private tutor of children in literacy,; adults in professional-business-technical English, and educators in technology integration.
Served on committees to aid ASFM's transition to Standards-Based Grading.
Gained new proficiencies in Haiku Power Learning Apps, Google Apps for Education, and Spanish language.
American International School of Abu Dhabi (2013 – 2016) UAE
- Information Technology Instructor, Grades 1-5
- Chairperson of the Pre-K to Grade 5 Technology Team
- Interim Technology Coordinator, 2015
- Grade 8 English and History during pilot BYOD year
- Administer/Oversee NWEA MAP Testing, Elementary
- Facilitator, Apple iTunes University pilot and Author, iTunes University courses
- Facilitator, Mentor and Teacher during decades of internet trends
- Private tutor of children in literacy & math; adults in professional-business-technical English
Mann Middle School, Oracle Education Foundation, High Plains Elementary, Jenkins Middle School, Emerson Middle School, Canon Elementary, Calhan K-12 School, Rockrimmon Elementary (1994-2013) USA
- Adaptor: Sharpened pedagogy by teaching in labs, traditional classrooms, 1:1, online and more
- Trainer: School, district, international, and corporate foundation levels, face-to-face and online
- Technologist: Apple and Windows, fluent in Android and Windows Mobile
- Innovator: several years’ experience in informal and formal BYOD classrooms and labs
- Mentor: Coached many new educators both formally and informally
- Servant Leader: Technology Curriculum and Committee Chairperson several times in several schools
- Lifelong Learner: Continuous pursuit of professional development far beyond requirements.
- Community Member: involved in digital Personal Learning Networks over a decade as well as volunteering for scouting, animal rescue, city-wide book studies, urban gardens, and church-run programs
OTHER CONTRIBUTIONS AND EXPERIENCES
- Sponsor before- and after-school activities like Girl Gamers and Code Jockeys, Hydroponic/Vertical Gardening, Summer Camps, Middle School Cycling Club, Morning Book Study, Science Camp, Gifted Learner Camp
- Serve on numerous committees, e.g. Positive Behavior Intervention Support Teams, Building Leadership Teams, Response to Intervention Teams, Volunteer Appreciation Teams
- Write district-wide standardized assessments in Social Studies
- Lead face-to-face and online professional study groups both on my own initiative and at supervisors’ request.
- Serve as Language Arts, Wellness, and 21st Century/Individualized Learning Teams chairperson
- Present Goals for 2016: Sponsor Robotics, Makerspace and Vertical-Hydroponic Gardening Clubs
SAMPLES OF LEADERSHIP, TRAININGS DELIVERED, ETC.
Flipped and Blended Learning Workshop presented at American School Foundation's annual professional development conference, "Live Curious, Go Beyond 2018" where teachers from all over Latin America attend.
Device Agnostic BYOD Tools Staff Development. Workshop presented at Education Services Overseas Limited's Cairo, Egypt, "Bi-Annual Professional Development Conference" in October, 2015 (File compression may result in lower image quality.)
Introduction to SAMR Model of Technology Integration. Inservice delivered to KG-5 Staff at a pre-service PD session in August 2015. (File compression may have reduced image quality.)
Introduction to Digital Storytelling. One of the many training documents made for Colorado Springs School District Eleven in the US.
Intro to Oracle Education Foundation. Slideshow outline of one of the of the many teacher training events facilitated "Oracle Education Foundation" workshops in Denver, South Dakota, Florida, Egypt, New Mexico, and more. Many of the trainings were about Project Based Learning, Think.com and 21st Century Skills. (Those Oracle web products were since phased out.)
WORK HISTORY PRIOR TO EDUCATION
- Full-time and Contractor - Legal Assistant for 9 years, Office Manager for 2 years
- Owned small businesses (property management, audio/video production services, snow removal, training)
- Worked full time, operated these businesses, and obtained two degrees despite intense personal hardships and single parenting, displaying a proven ability to rebound and retool as necessary
*MAT, The Colorado College, Colorado Springs, USA (1995)
**BA, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, USA (1994)