Flipped and Blended Learning - An Introduction
LIVE CURIOUS, GO BEYOND 2018, ASFM, MONTERREY, MEXICO
Device-Agnostic Teaching in 1:1 Environments
Presentation at ESOL Professional Development Conference
Here are Five Ways to Use Augmented Reality in the classroom from Common Sense Media:
- Use a National Geographic Explorer article to write a simple report on tropical birds and then color Quiver markers of a tropical bird. Take a screenshot and make posters of the reports with the markers.
- For Fire Safety Week, have students draw a map of their home escape routes. Then they can color the Quiver fire truck marker. Make posters of the maps with the marker and photos or screenshots.
- Use the Quiver globe marker to identify and label the seven continents. Color the marker with colored pencils, take a photo or screenshot, and then mount it on construction paper.
- Right after the holidays, have students write a story about their "Favorite Gift" (given or received). Students color the Quiver gift marker and take a photo or screenshot just as confetti starts coming out of the box. Mount the photo and story on construction paper and fold it like a book.
- Students use the Spacecraft 3D app to research a spacecraft. They can use Popplet to make a graphic organizer, placing facts about the spacecraft around the photo or screenshot.
- The App vs. Aurasma Studio explanation and how to make an interactive display. Ms. Pana Says using Aurasma Studio on your browser or computer can let you:
- Create more complex auras (i.e. use more than one overlay)
- Use trigger images that sometimes don’t work well when creating on a device
- Add actions to overlays such as making it full screen on double-tap.
- Aurasma Review and tutorial.
- To be clear, The Book Bug (a librarian) helpfully shares that the Aurasma app and Aurasma Studio do NOT synch up, even if you use the same login information. Basically you make two separate accounts. You cannot edit auras you create in Aurasma Studio with the Aurasma app and vice versa....at least not with the free account. The Book Bug has also generously offered LOTS of great tips, tricks, and resources for using Aurasma Studio and the Aurasma app, as well as some ideas for using Aurasma in the media center and in classrooms in a free Aurasma How To Guide download.
- Video Tutorials on Aurasma in the Classroom from Ed Tech and Mobile Learning. Demo, tutorial, how to use it in the classroom, How to create and view a location based aura, Creating and using 3D models, Teaching with Aurasma, Example of how a primary school uses Aurasma.
- How to Start Using Augmented Reality in the Classroom by EdTechTeacher.
- TES Lesson Set for Teachers on Augmented Reality and Aurasma
- Setting Instructional Outcomes with Augmented Reality in the Classroom. Introduction and how this teacher uses it in his classroom.
- Bring Magic to Your Open House With Augmented Reality! from Scholastic, Inc. "Parents could see their child instantly pop up in a live video simply by hovering their device over the paper on the wall."
- "The World Would Be More Awesome" Student Video Activity, including free Graphic Planning Organizer.
- How to Transform Your Classroom With Augmented Reality by edSurge
- Aurasma Studio online has a great Help section with video tutorials, including a special area for Educators. Just click HELP in the upper right hand corner.
A YouTube search of "Aurasma" yields a plethora of tutorials as well.
GRADE 5 EXHIBITION STARTER NOTES
All Grades: be sure you are doing about 15 minutes of focused keyboarding practice every night on a real keyboard (not on a tablet) at http://www.kidztype.com/typing-web. It's very important to do the lessons in order. Be sure you learn each new letter or skill before moving on.
RESEARCH UNIT AGENDAS in PDF Format
I am updating these every week as we make progress:
- Grade 5 Research/Web Evaluation (Agendas 22-25) EXIT TICKET JPG
- Grade 4 Research/Web Evaluation (Agendas 22-25)
I am in the process of getting an additional professional endorsement titled Instructional Technology Specialist. I find that, although I have worked in this field for well over a decade, it would be beneficial to have this additional documentation of my knowledge and expertise.
Regardless of constantly changing educational technology and digital learning trends, I believe that really it's all about excellent pedagogy and powerful relationships first. Then it's about connectivity, hardware, software, but never about gimmicks -- unless they are used only as the hooks to engage students into deeper inquiry.
Sharing a Google Doc (How To)
2nd Grade Book Trailer Unit
Device-Agnostic and Platform-Independent Teaching Tools
Cairo ESOL Professional Development Conference Presentation, October 2015
Don’t cheat on copyright!
This is merely a Help File,
no real cheats involved.
Art, Design, Paint & Sketching Sites
Revised and Adapted 1/25/15 with thanks to: http://www.allgraphicdesign.com/graphicsblog/2008/05/online-drawing-tools-free-online-painting-sketching-tools/
(Ø Indicates It Might Be A Good Tool for Primary Grades)
Ø Art PadCLICK ANYWHERE TO START.Ø Paint – WiiPlayableThis nice looking paint program lets you draw with markers using your wiimote mouse.Ø Online drawing by AbabasoftPlay and fun this free online painting flash games. Draw the figure upside down (topsy-turvy). Draw any free time. Try to make circles; Try to make parallel lines; Have a proportion Celebrity Pencil Portraits Learn how to draw lifelike, pencil portraits of family, friends. favorite personalities. Demonstrations, hints, tips and books. Drawing and Sketching drawing - original drawing lessons, how to draw tutorials, drawing gallery Learn to draw with graphite pencil, colored pencil, charcoal, and pen and ink.Ø BRUSHsterhttp://www.nga.gov/kids/zone/brushster.htm. REQUIRES SHOCKWAVE OR JAVA. BRUSHster is a painting machine for all ages. This interactive has more than forty brushes and many customizable size, transparency, and stroke options. A rainbow palette, along with a toolbox of special effects that blur, ripple, smudge, blend, and fragment your designs make BRUSHster a full-feature painting program.Ø Draw Online by QueekySketch PanDraw Anywhere (Sign up for free trial). Draw Space (Learn to Draw Tutorials). Favicon Icon DrawingOnline Drawing BoardScriblink - Your Online WhiteboardWebCanvas - ScribbleCLICK TO START A NEW SCRIBBLE (BLACK AND WHITE ONLY). Once described as an open canvas to create and share drawings, this popular drawing app is back after 2 years offline. One of the best features of this app is the ability to see how each drawing was made as Scribble redraws the picture stroke by stroke. Scribble now includes functionality to send your favourite drawings to your nearest and dearest.Gliffy Create and Share Flow Charts, Diagrams, and More. With Gliffy online diagramming software, you can easily create Professional-looking flowcharts, Diagrams, Floor plans, and Technical drawings, and more! It’s easy to use and FreeISketch Join other people from around the world to play a fun game of online sketching! The object of the game is simple. Each player gets a chance to draw a word which the other players will try to guess. You can play anytime for free, 24 hours a day!Kerpoof Studio Here are just a few ways you can use Kerpoof: With Kerpoof, you can create artwork (even if you aren’t good at drawing!), Make an animated movie (really! it’s easy!), Earn Koins which you will soon be able to spend in The Kerpoof Store, Make a printed card, tshirt, or mug, Tell a story, Make a drawing, Vote on the movies, stories, and drawings that other people have made, and more.Mikons REQUIRES SHOCKWAVE OR JAVA. Use the Mikon Machine™, our cool vector drawing tool, to create the symbols that tell your story. You can design from scratch or remix other graphics to build your personal set of Mikons. Publish your Mikons and choose how you would like to share them, possibly with your family, friends, and co-workers; or you can always keep them private. Connect with other Mikoners, search for people with similar Mikons, join a community, email a fellow Mikoner, view your friends list and much more!