Here are Five Ways to Use Augmented Reality in the classroom from Common Sense Media:
- Use a National Geographic Explorer article to write a simple report on tropical birds and then color Quiver markers of a tropical bird. Take a screenshot and make posters of the reports with the markers.
- For Fire Safety Week, have students draw a map of their home escape routes. Then they can color the Quiver fire truck marker. Make posters of the maps with the marker and photos or screenshots.
- Use the Quiver globe marker to identify and label the seven continents. Color the marker with colored pencils, take a photo or screenshot, and then mount it on construction paper.
- Right after the holidays, have students write a story about their "Favorite Gift" (given or received). Students color the Quiver gift marker and take a photo or screenshot just as confetti starts coming out of the box. Mount the photo and story on construction paper and fold it like a book.
- Students use the Spacecraft 3D app to research a spacecraft. They can use Popplet to make a graphic organizer, placing facts about the spacecraft around the photo or screenshot.
- The App vs. Aurasma Studio explanation and how to make an interactive display. Ms. Pana Says using Aurasma Studio on your browser or computer can let you:
- Create more complex auras (i.e. use more than one overlay)
- Use trigger images that sometimes don’t work well when creating on a device
- Add actions to overlays such as making it full screen on double-tap.
- Aurasma Review and tutorial.
- To be clear, The Book Bug (a librarian) helpfully shares that the Aurasma app and Aurasma Studio do NOT synch up, even if you use the same login information. Basically you make two separate accounts. You cannot edit auras you create in Aurasma Studio with the Aurasma app and vice versa....at least not with the free account. The Book Bug has also generously offered LOTS of great tips, tricks, and resources for using Aurasma Studio and the Aurasma app, as well as some ideas for using Aurasma in the media center and in classrooms in a free Aurasma How To Guide download.
- Video Tutorials on Aurasma in the Classroom from Ed Tech and Mobile Learning. Demo, tutorial, how to use it in the classroom, How to create and view a location based aura, Creating and using 3D models, Teaching with Aurasma, Example of how a primary school uses Aurasma.
- How to Start Using Augmented Reality in the Classroom by EdTechTeacher.
- TES Lesson Set for Teachers on Augmented Reality and Aurasma
- Setting Instructional Outcomes with Augmented Reality in the Classroom. Introduction and how this teacher uses it in his classroom.
- Bring Magic to Your Open House With Augmented Reality! from Scholastic, Inc. "Parents could see their child instantly pop up in a live video simply by hovering their device over the paper on the wall."
- "The World Would Be More Awesome" Student Video Activity, including free Graphic Planning Organizer.
- How to Transform Your Classroom With Augmented Reality by edSurge
- Aurasma Studio online has a great Help section with video tutorials, including a special area for Educators. Just click HELP in the upper right hand corner.
A YouTube search of "Aurasma" yields a plethora of tutorials as well.
GRADE 5 EXHIBITION STARTER NOTES
All Grades: be sure you are doing about 15 minutes of focused keyboarding practice every night on a real keyboard (not on a tablet) at http://www.kidztype.com/typing-web. It's very important to do the lessons in order. Be sure you learn each new letter or skill before moving on.
RESEARCH UNIT AGENDAS in PDF Format
I am updating these every week as we make progress:
- Grade 5 Research/Web Evaluation (Agendas 22-25) EXIT TICKET JPG
- Grade 4 Research/Web Evaluation (Agendas 22-25)
I am in the process of getting an additional professional endorsement titled Instructional Technology Specialist. I find that, although I have worked in this field for well over a decade, it would be beneficial to have this additional documentation of my knowledge and expertise.
Regardless of constantly changing educational technology and digital learning trends, I believe that really it's all about excellent pedagogy and powerful relationships first. Then it's about connectivity, hardware, software, but never about gimmicks -- unless they are used only as the hooks to engage students into deeper inquiry.
Sharing a Google Doc (How To)
2nd Grade Book Trailer Unit
Device-Agnostic and Platform-Independent Teaching Tools
Cairo ESOL Professional Development Conference Presentation, October 2015
Don’t cheat on copyright!
This is merely a Help File,
no real cheats involved.
Art, Design, Paint & Sketching Sites
Revised and Adapted 1/25/15 with thanks to: http://www.allgraphicdesign.com/graphicsblog/2008/05/online-drawing-tools-free-online-painting-sketching-tools/
(Ø Indicates It Might Be A Good Tool for Primary Grades)